Monday, March 22, 2010

A cup of tea with Aubrie Dionne


Today I welcome author Aubrie Dionne to my corner for a cuppa tea and a chat. Aubrie, thank you for your time and for sharing a little piece of your world.

Aubrie Dionne is an author and flutist in New England. Her writings have appeared in Niteblade, Silver Blade, Emerald Tales, and Aurora Wolf. Her young adult fantasy book, Dreams of Beauty, is published by SynergEbooks and her short story collections are published by Gypsy Shadow Publishing. Her space opera, Nebula’s Music came out on March 1 at Lyrical Press. Aubrie teaches flute at Plymouth State University and the Manchester Community Music School.

When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I've enjoyed writing all my life. As a flute teacher, I make up stories to go with the music to make my students play with more emotion. They liked my stories so much they encouraged me to publish them, and here I am today!

What genres do you enjoy writing the most and why?

I enjoy writing fantasy and science fiction. Although I love scary stories, I've tried to write horror to find that my stories aren't scary at all! I love writing descriptions and the fantasy and science fiction genres fit well with my writing style.

Who are your favourite authors and which work of fiction has been the most influential in your life and why?

I love all of the classic British authors: Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, Lord Byron. My all-time favorite poem is The Lady of Shalott by Lord Byron. The lyrical use of language and the imagery inspired me to write fantasy of my own.

As for current day authors, I love Patricia McKillip and Tad Williams. Tad Williams has a great triology: The Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Series about three swords is a brilliantly written Tolkienesque adventure. I've read it several times.

Are you at liberty to share anything about your works in progress?

Yes! I'm currently writing a full-length space opera titled Desert Nomad. I had so much fun writing my space opera novella, Nebula's Music, that I decided to write a full-length novel with the same elaborate setting.

Desert Nomad is about a sixth-generation colonist living aboard the Ark, a deep-space transport vessel destined for a paradise planet two hundred years away. Her purpose is to maintain the life support systems and marry Lieutenant Barliss, producing two genetically superior children to take their place at the helm.

Stifled with a predestined existence determined by computer calculations, she manipulates an escape months before her marriage ceremony to Barliss. Her flight pod crashes on a desert planet with minimal survival conditions and she is caught between the search-and- rescue teams of the Ark and the primitive hunters on the alien world. While struggling to survive, she is rescued by Striker, a space pirate exiled by his mutinous crew. Together they search for the last relic needed to revive an ancient alien craft, their only means of escape. With the search teams flying above and the hunters stalking them below, she is forced to make the ultimate sacrifice; her freedom for Striker’s life. Striker must bargain with the same pirates that exiled him in order to rescue her.

Tell us about your latest release and why you think people will enjoy it.

Nebula's Music is about a cyborg made from a human. She experiences that human's memories. These memories…which involve a captive rebel fighter being held on their ship…bring with them complex human feelings and awaken a desire for her to discover her origins.

Radian is the long-lost love of the woman from which Nebula was made. He’s vowed to avenge his fiancée’s death and rescue her sister from the Gryphonites, a fierce race out to enslave the galaxy. Nebula grapples with her identity and how much of who she is comes from someone else’s past. She is not the woman who died, yet she is undeniably drawn to Radian.

Together Nebula and Radian seek to rescue his fiancée’s sister and end the Gryphonites’ cruel reign. But can Radian learn to love again and can Nebula accept a past made from someone else’s memories?

Anyone who enjoys Star Trek, Star Wars, Serenity and other space operas will enjoy this.

Tell us about about the favourite character you have created? What would you do if you could spend a day in his/her company?

I love all my characters! It's so hard for me to choose! My fortune teller, Vira, from Seer's Destiny, a short story in my Carnival of Illusions Series would be interesting to meet. Her crystal ball only shows bleak and harsh truth and I wonder what she'd find in it for me!

If you enjoyed this chat with Aubrie, do go check out some of her links:

Website:
http://www.authoraubrie.com

Blog:
http://authoraubrie.blogspot.com

Become a follower of Aubrie's blog and receive a free ebook from her. Remember to comment and tell her you read about her on Toad's Corner.

* * * *

Toad is a somewhat grumpy amphibian who lives under a baobab tree in Nerine's garden. She likes sharing stories, poems, interviews and excerpts from F/SF/H novels, so if you've something in mind, drop Toad an email at nerinedorman@gmail.com and Nerine will pass on the message to Toad, who really couldn't be bothered with computers, the internet and stuff because worms taste much nicer and it's far easier getting the primate to do her bidding. Remember to mark the subject line: "Toad's Corner", so Nerine knows what to do with the email.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific interview! Best of luck with the new book, Aubrie. And Nerine, congratulations and best wishes for this new venture.

    ReplyDelete