Sunday, February 20, 2011

Meet Liz Strange


Today Toad welcomes Liz Strange to her corner. If you're interested in vampire fiction with a difference, Liz is sure to offer up a saga worthwhile taking a look into.

When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I think I knew I wanted to be a writer at about the age of three, when I started my first series of books about a bird family. I couldn’t physically write yet so I dictated them to my mother. But when I seriously thought about pursuing a career as a writer? That happened in the summer of 2008. I’d had stories and abandoned novels I’d worked on over the years, and My Love Eternal (my first published book) was pulled out of a dusty box and revised.

Was there a defining moment where you got the idea for your first published novel?

My novel was inspired by things I liked and things I didn’t like in the vampire fiction I’d read. As my readers will find, my stories are much darker than many of the others in the "paranormal romance" market, verging on being horror. My vampires are monsters and they know it, but they still have enough of their humanity remaining to be empathized with.

Why vampires? What is it about these creatures of the night that appeals to you?

I like the idea of living forever, in both an amazed and horrified kind of way. It would be incredible to experience so many things, see the world around you change, but it would also be terrible to watch those who get close to you eventually die. There is something beautiful, and yet haunting about the idea of vampirism.

If you were to go into solitary confinement for a year, which are the three books you'd take with you and why?

Oh, hard one. Ok, if only three I’ll say The Picture of Dorian Grey, Interview with the Vampire and A Handmaid’s Tale.

Describe your writing process.

I am a write as I go kind of girl. I very rarely have an outline, though I do make notes to myself as I go along about things I should follow up on. I am very serious about my research though. If I’m going to reference a geographical area, or a different time period I want to be as accurate as possible.

Care to share a bit about your upcoming projects?

I am working through the edits on the final book in my Dark Kiss Trilogy, Born of Blood and Retribution. I’ve finished two other novels and a novella that I hope to get out into the marketplace soon.

Thanks so much for having me at Toad’s Corner!

Useful links:




3 comments:

  1. I can identify with the concept of vampires beyond the bloodletting. It's the history, like they are each little time capsules. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete